The Hama-rikyu Garden, constructed at the edge of Tokyo Bay in 1654, began as the family garden of Tokugawa Shogun. The Great Kanto earthquake of 1923 and World War II bombing destroyed large parts of the garden, but it opened as public park in 1946.
The surrounding moat faced with hand-built stone walls is one of the few original features remaining. The rain of Typhoon Chaba pelts on the surface.
An interesting pest management technique, komo-maki (straw mat wrapping), is shown here. As insects descend the trunk in autumn to winter in the soil, they are captured in the mats. In late winter, the mats are removed and burnt, effectively reducing the population.